Re: [ARSCLIST] Lossy compression losing quality (was Re: [ARSCLIST] Pristine Audio and the Milllennials . . .)

At 12:36 PM 2007-12-11, Howard Friedman wrote:
Richard,

You're right, space is cheap. I recently got a 300GB external drive for $100, that should hold about 10,000 WAV tracks!

YES, but get a second one as disc drives are cheaper than the labour to re-rip the CDs.

What happens when I convert MP3 files to WAV?

They grow back to the size they were.

I assume the loss is already there?

Correct and cannot be recovered. You must re-rip the CDs to obtain the benefits of WAV. For consumer use, I wouldn't bother up-sampling from MP3 to WAV. In fact, for my kid's CDs, to save storage, I just rip to 256 kb/s MP3s but we retain the CDs (and they don't get much wear now that the kid's listen on their MP3 players). I recommend retaining the CDs because if you dispose of them, your "fair use" copy becomes a pirate copy.

Well, as someone said, and it may have been you, I've got 250 audio CDs to Rip to WAV, that are already in MP3 format. Luckily, Ripping doesn't take nearly the time it takes to play the track.

See above -- if you're looking to preserve the music long-term go with WAV.

I am currently ingesting a tape I made in 1976-12-14 at St. Thomas Church on Fifth Avenue in NY City at 88,200 samples per second, 24 bit. Sadly, I made it at 7.5 in/s, but it still sounds darned good! Made it on a Dolby B ReVox A77 on Maxell UD35 tape. Playback is on a Studer A80 RC through a Dolby 422 pro B/C/S decoder.

Cheers,

Richard