Re: [ARSCLIST] Lossy compression losing quality (was Re: [ARSCLIST] Pristine Audio and the Milllennials . . .)

At 02:26 PM 2007-12-12, Howard Friedman wrote:
Ok, there seem to be many 500GB external drives out there at reasonable prices. Anyone have an opinion as to which one is best, or better, or why?

Two--of different models or brands (or at least different production runs) so a design defect doesn't take down both copies. Brand loyalty in disk drives is about as good as Nikon/Canon or Chevy/Ford debates. I tend towards Western Digital, but that is not after much research. I have Seagate, Maxtor, and IBM/Hitachi drives that have lasted well, too. It's hard to keep track, I have over three dozen here and, touch wood, I have only had two fail in three years. Some are coming up on five years old. Drives range in size from 40 GB 2.5" to 750 GB 3.5 inch, with the bulk of the redundant storage on triple-redundant 250 GB and dual redundant Raided 500 GB drives.

Cheers,

Richard