Re: [ARSCLIST] Lossy compression losing quality (was Re: [ARSCLIST] Pristine Audio and the Milllennials . . .)

At 10:22 AM 2007-12-11, Howard Friedman wrote:

Windows Media Player provides 6 possible formats for ripping audio CD tracks. The Windows Media Audio (WMA) is stated to be lossless, yet these files are about one-third as large as the corresponding WAV files. Are they equal in quality to WAV? In other words, for the BEST conversion, which format should one use to RIP audio tracks from a CD to a hard drive? Also, there is a slight, usually 1 second, difference in timing of these various formats per track.

Howard,

I see Mike answered your question to me very well. To answer your current question. RIP TO WAV 44.1/16 IF you want no quality loss from the CD AND you want a format that will be the most likely to be easily readable far into the future.

I know it takes up more space, but space is cheap these days. Also, speaking of cheap, get two hard drives and update the backup one from the main one. I saw a 400 GB USB drive for I think $140 at Staples here in Canada.

Windows Media also offers lossy options.

cheers,

Richard