[ARSCLIST] Lossy compression losing quality (was Re: [ARSCLIST] Pristine Audio and the Milllennials . . .)

Howard Friedman wrote:

If anyone would care to send me their Email address, i would be glad to send you any number of MP3 files ripped from audio CDs, and then tell me if there's a loss of quality! Take your choice, Chaliapin, Galli-Curci, Ponselle, the list goes on.

In this sort of discussion, I believe we'd do well to keep track of the different meanings of "quality". There is the abstract sense in which MP3 and other lossy compressors always lose information, as shown by the inabiilty to reconstruct the original PCM signal from the compressed file. In that sense, Don is correct in suggesting staying with lossless formats if file size is unimportant. For example, if one is ripping tracks from multiple CDs to make a compilation CD, there is no reason to spend the time and accept the penalty in quality of using lossy compression.

Then there is the sense in which the loss of quality does not significantly affect either the content or the esthetics of the recording. I believe that is the situation to which Howard refers.

Finally, there is the sense in which the loss may be acceptable for the application. I use low bitrates at my WWW site so that those on dialup can still have the experience without inordinate effort. For many reasons, most of my CD-ROMs are also at low bitrate so that the subject can be covered efficiently. In both cases, the loss of audio quality is noticeable, but in context well worth tolerating.

Note that I pay the penalty for that low bitrate. I wanted to post something in recognizing the death of Karlheinz Stockhausen, but it became apparent on first examining the candidates that 32 Kbps monaural would be worse than nothing at all and that a reasonable sample at a tolerable rate (say, 256 Kbps stereo) would exclude many visitors. So I will leave celebration of the life of that seminal composer to others.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/