Re: [ARSCLIST] Lossy compression losing quality (was Re: [ARSCLIST] Pristine Audio and the Milllennials . . .)

Howard Friedman wrote:
Mark,

There is also a program out there, called Midi Converter, which can handle MP3, WAV, WMA, and OGG, whatever that may bbe. I believe it will convert any to any other. But what's the point of converting MP3 to WAv, or even WMA, when the quality has already been "lossed"? Best to Rip the CD to WAV files in the first place, don't you think?

And I still wonder whether one, particularly I, can tell the difference.

For one thing, it is always better to decompress MP3 to WAV before burning to CD-DA. Yes, it is better to stay in redbook WAV throughout, but if one has MP3s to begin with and wishes to write to CD-DA, separate decompression is not compromised by the need for speed.

Whether you can tell the difference (especially with your equipment) depends on the quality of the source and your ability to hear. No one else can determine either of those.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/