Re: [ARSCLIST] Lossy compression losing quality (was Re: [ARSCLIST] Pristine Audio and the Milllennials . . .)

Howard Friedman wrote:
Hello, Richard,

My God, the WAV file is more than 10 times larger than the MP3 file! Where does the loss occur, treble or bass or both? How much? Can I hear the difference?

The loss is essentially in the high frequencies, but not uniformly so. Note that compression may be selected in a range of about 3-30 with the usual choice 11:1 (128 Kbps MP3 from redbook WAV). The more compression, the greater the loss.

Note, too, that LAME offers a wider range in its not-MP3 MP3 than do Fraunhofer compressors.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/