Re: [ARSCLIST] Lossy compression losing quality (was Re: [ARSCLIST] Pristine Audio and the Milllennials . . .)

Mike, you wrote,

Howard Friedman wrote:
> Hello, Richard,
>
> My God, the WAV file is more than 10 times larger than the MP3 file!  Where does the loss occur, treble or bass or both?  How much?  Can I hear the difference?

The loss is essentially in the high frequencies, but not uniformly so.
Note that compression may be selected in a range of about 3-30 with the
usual choice 11:1 (128 Kbps MP3 from redbook WAV). The more compression,
the greater the loss.

Note, too, that LAME offers a wider range in its not-MP3 MP3 than do
Fraunhofer compressors.

Mike
--
Windows Media Player provides 6 possible formats for ripping audio CD tracks.  The Windows Media Audio (WMA) is stated to be lossless, yet these files are about one-third as large as the corresponding WAV files.  Are they equal in quality to WAV?  In other words, for the BEST conversion, which format should one use to RIP audio tracks from a CD to a hard drive?  Also, there is a slight, usually 1 second, difference in timing of these various formats per track.

Howard