Re: [ARSCLIST] Lossy compression losing quality (was Re: [ARSCLIST] Pristine Audio and the Milllennials . . .)

On 10/12/07, Richard L. Hess wrote:

> At 02:36 PM 2007-12-10, Howard Friedman wrote:
>
>> Does that mean that ripping CDA format files from a CD to MP3 format
>> on my hard drive loses nothing?
>
> Howard,
>
> That is not copying a file, that is changing the file. The CDA format
> is 44.1/16 uncompressed. You're compressing it when you make the MP3.
>
> Copying a CDA to your hard drive would result in a WAV file of 44.1
> ks/s and 16 bit depth. That would be lossless except in extreme cases
> of poor readability which would normally fail, or at least be flagged,
> depending on your ripping tool. ExactAudioCopy.DE gives you an error
> report. I don't know what Windows Media Player does in that regard.
>
> When you change the file format you lose something (unless you
> upconvert). When you make analog copies, you lose something.

Except that changing from WAV to AIFF or back loses nothing, as they are
almost identical.

> When most people say "copy a file" they mean from one carrier to
> another in the same format, not migrating it to a different format.
>
> That type of copying is transparent or it will fail (with the chance
> of an undetectable error in something like 1 per Petabyte or
> something along that order of magnitude 1 PB = 1,000,000 GB) For all
> intents and purposes, copying a file will work or fail. If it fails,
> it tells you.

Except for copying over the Internet. It is possible to files to arrive
with small errors without warning - I sometimes see this in JPG image
files, where the colours break up after the error. In an audio file, you
would probably just get a click.

> If you're changing a file format from uncompressed to compressed,
> that is changing the file format, not copying. You will lose quality.
> When you uncompress and recompress an MP3 or JPEG file, you will lose
> quality which is why these files are not used as input for editing.

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx