Re: [ARSCLIST] Audio History In a Nutshell?

At 11:02 PM 2007-12-06, Steven C. Barr(x) wrote:

Nevertheless, the three-minute content
of the old 78 will take up the same amount of space as a 3-minute
full-fidelity stereo recording...

On the CD, yes, because everything is forced to be stereo 44,100 samples per second, 16 bits. However, if you had MP3s, you could put a bunch of MP3s on a CD-ROM disc which many later CD players will play, including navigating down a folder tree. You could then adjust the quality to the original -- but all would be compressed. I have some walkman (one each for me and my two sons) that can play these. Of course, when you read this in a computer, you see a file system.

On the other hand, I often deliver file-system DVD-ROMs with 96,000 sample-per-second, 24-bit files. Sometimes 16 of them representing one file per track of a 16-track tape.

The next step is to copy the MP3 files (or WMV) to a USB flash device. If that flash device has an audio decoder and a headphone amp and a battery, it's called an MP3 player. Add features and DRM to taste.

Cheers,

Richard