Re: [ARSCLIST] Audio History In a Nutshell?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Richter" <mrichter@xxxxxxx>
> Howard Friedman wrote:
> > I stand corrected.  As to the *.CDA format, that's what I see when I look at
the contents of an Audio CD.  When I copy it to my hard drive it converts, I
suppose you mean is extracted to the MP3 format.  But how does the 44KB *.CDA
file become a MP3 file of MB size?  And does an audio CD actually have the MP3
file on it, or is it compressed, or what?

> The only way I know to get an extraction when you copy a .CDA is with a
> module (Windows 9x only) which does a relatively crude extraction. If
> you have a collection of options for output format, that's what you're
> doing. Not recommended on several counts. (It involves lying to the OS,
> something Windows NT will not allow.)
>
> The PC program that does the best job extracting audio from CD-DA is the
> freeware (technically, cardware) Exact Audio Copy. It can be integrated
> with LAME if you want to go more or less directly to MP3.

Okeh...question (for anyone who can answer it...?!)...

Is there ANY way to look at the digital content (the actual bits in byte
form) that are on an audio CD? Obviously, they wouldn't tell you much,
since they are NOT the actual sound content (until processed by various
algorithms)...but, for example, I can use DOSSHELL to look at the bytes
on any floppy disk or hard drive...but it won't/can't show me the
digital data present on an audio CD...!

If this is a digital entity, it stands to reason it must have digital
data on it...as well, sequences of bits HAVE to form bytes (whether
or not the data is in byte form, right?)...

Steven C. Barr
(executable files are displayed as effectively meaningless sequences
of digital characters using DOSSHELL...)