Re: [ARSCLIST] Audio History In a Nutshell?

Steven C. Barr(x) wrote:

Is there ANY way to look at the digital content (the actual bits in byte
form) that are on an audio CD? Obviously, they wouldn't tell you much,
since they are NOT the actual sound content (until processed by various
algorithms)...but, for example, I can use DOSSHELL to look at the bytes
on any floppy disk or hard drive...but it won't/can't show me the
digital data present on an audio CD...!

If this is a digital entity, it stands to reason it must have digital
data on it...as well, sequences of bits HAVE to form bytes (whether
or not the data is in byte form, right?)...

No. And yes.

The bits on the disc are written in a complex pattern to deal with the relatively high error rate on optical media; there's a page in the primer at my WWW site on the matter, written by someone who is knowledgable and marginally comprehensible to me.
http://www.mrichter.com/cdr/primer/bits.htm

It is impossible with conventional hardware to see the bits as they are written since they are decoded and correlated in the drive hardware. You can see the bits as the hardware has interpreted them with a program such as Infinadyne's CD/DVD Inspector.
http://www.infinadyne.com/

Note that this and related forensic programs (I only know this one) may deliver more than you want at a price that may deter the casual user.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/