Re: [ARSCLIST] Concertapes -- what became of it? (N78C!)

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard L. Hess" <arclists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
At 11:42 PM 2007-10-11, Steven C. Barr wrote:
Well, near as I recall, "Concertape" was a brand name used for "Radio Shack"
I think the stuff in the white boxes (at least south of the border) was called Concert Tape (not concatenated) and it was just a fancy "white box" tape of varying quality as I recall.

Well, up here (IIRC), "Concertape" was a house brand for Tandy/Radio Shack...?
(now "Circuit City" here in
frozen Canuckistan, since the term "radio shack" was related to a much earlier era in ham radio, when one
"borrowed" both the UX-245's out of the household radio in order to build an up-to-date transmitter...!)

As I understand the change, the people in Barrie who had the Canadian license to use the name/logo "Radio Shack" lost that right (refused to renew/whatever) so they ended up being bought out by the U.S. Circuit City (or they lost it because they were bought out as I said whatever) and at least the last time I looked, it was called "The Source by Circuit City"

Either way, the operation had/has lost most of its usefulness! There was a time when
"Radio Shack" had a computer-based listing of things like obsolete "needles" and
cartridges...which could be special-ordered from some distant "headquarters" should
one require same...!

In fact, back in the late fifties, when I was K(N)9JOO, I used to receive catalogs from
outfits like (the original) "Radio Shack"..."Allied Radio"...and a number of dealers in
"war surplus" (a category which has disappeared, and NOT due to a shortage of wars...!).

Somewhere out in Radio-Land, there MUST exist a huge quantity of leftover "war surplus"
which NOBODY ever bought...?!

Steven C. Barr
And FROZEN? Canuckistan???? I thought we were having a very very warm October or is the weather much colder where you are than in Aurora? Last night was the first cold night -- I think it got down to 3 C.

Cheers,

Richard

Richard L. Hess                   email: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx