[ARSCLIST] Concertapes -- what became of it?

Hi All:

What was the history of Concertapes? I believe they started out in the mid-50's issuing stereo 2-track tapes. I have both "staggered" (Magnecorder format) and "stacked" (standard 2-track) tapes from them, both musical tapes by Leonard Sorkin heading variously named ensembles which I believe someone here said were members of the Chicago Symphony. And Concertapes also released the "Sound In the Round" series by Robert Oaks Jordan.

I also know Concertapes put out stereo LP records for a while after 1958.

So what happened to them and what became of the master tapes?

Interestingly, they seem to have beem in business at least until 1966. See:
http://www.uwm.edu/Libraries/arch/findaids/uwmmss30.htm
and search Concertapes. According to the text before the list of holdings, Sorkin was instrumental in founding Concertapes and his archives/collection contained financial statements through 1966.

I'm wondering what happened to the master tapes for all this material and why none of it ever ended up on commercial CD's?

-- Tom Fine