Re: [ARSCLIST] Infinite digital storage

----- Original Message ----- From: "Schooley, John" <John.Schooley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
I found this blog posting on "Freedom to Tinker" by Ed Felten.  He's a
Princeton computer science professor, and thought it might interest
readers of this list.

I don't know about infinite, I know "Moore's law" isn't really a law at
all and at some point the ceiling will be reached.  But the amount of
digital storage available is still sure to increase in ever-ridiculous
amounts.  The 80 gig ipod I bought last year has already been eclipsed
by one with nearly double the capacity.  What will we see in a decade?

Without reading your digital reference...note that hard-drive capacities have
reached (per ads I have seen!) one TERABYTE (1024^3 bytes)...!

However, as we digitize movies (including their soundtracks...!) it is easy to see
that we have needs for more storage and/or larger archives...anyone out there
want to hazard a guess of the size of "The complete archive of motion pictures,
189?-1960"...?

Steven C. Barr
(A digital archive of EVERY known North American sound recording, in .WAV
format, would require four or five terabytes...a quantity which was inconceivable
a few years ago, but is now simple to assemble...?!)