Re: [ARSCLIST] MATRIX numbers

----- Original Message -----
From: "D P Ingram" <darren@xxxxxxxxx>
> On 26 apr 2007, at 04.07, Steven C. Barr(x) wrote:
> > Where there is a single matrix number on an LP label, it refers to
> > the actual "matrix" (the first negative copy, from which stampers
> > were made) of the recording in question. Columbia, and IIRC RCA
> > used this system.
> So it sounds "safe" to place this number as the matrix with space for
> other "versions" or "variants" that may emerge as the db is populated
> in the future? If anyone uses it though.

Well, my personal cataloguing database (a complicated, three-level
relational, MS Access application) uses one table for (phono)Records,
one for "Sides" and one for "Tracks." The Sides table includes a data
field for "Matrix," since each side of a phonorecord almost always has
a single matrix number (since its pressing usually involved a single
physical "matrix").

Since I catalog only 78's, I have no phonorecords which actually
contain separate recordings for which an individual matrix number
is known. However, I have several multi-track 78's on which the
same track appears with different other tracks on at least two
78 phonorecords I own!

Sadly, since "matrix" is also a technical term, referring to the
original negative copy from which "mothers" and then "stampers"
could be "pulled" via electroplating, each phonorecord...regardless
of the number of separate tracks...will have only ONE matrix!

However, an album which reissues a number of 78rpm recordings will
have but a single "matrix"...but, since each track was taken from
a much-earlier 78 recording with its own matrix number (since the
original 78 came from a single specific matrix...!) the notes (if
the company included them, which often is NOT the case...!) will
show the original 78rpm recording's matrix number (which is of
interest to us decicated discographers...!)

So...a vintage Columbia LP record containing a number of reissued
78 sides will have both its own matrix number (shown on the LP
label) and an original matrix number for each reissued track.
Note that even material not before issued will still have a
matrix number, since the recording was given one when it was
first made, whether or not it was subsequently used...!