Re: [ARSCLIST] MP3 player for public

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Fine" <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Well, there is a reason the iPod is far and away the best selling digital
music player -- ease of
> use and user-friendly interface. You'd be hard pressed to find a better
interface, although someone
> probably makes a specialized player of some sort for institutional purposes.
I've seen specialized
> CD players in museums -- the covers are locked and they are ruggedized and
offer only play and stop
> buttons, covered in rubber so slimy little fingers can't break them. Someone
must make a similar MP3
> player.
>
> Another idea -- seek out an Apple refurb or recycling place in Europe. You
might find a load of iPod
> Mini or even an early Nano for very cheap. A Nano might be your ideal choice
because it's got
> solid-state memory, not a hard drive, and will thus last longer under constant
jarring.

The problem with genuine Apple iPods is that they use a proprietary sound-file
format. I don't kmow if they can convert other more common formats (i.e.
CD, .wav, .mp3, usw.)...but I do know that material intended for the iPod
can't be played by anything else (there may be Apple-built exceptions...?)

One can also buy "MP3 players," which act much the same as iPods but use
more accessible file format...