Re: [ARSCLIST] MATRIX numbers

----- Original Message -----
From: "D P Ingram" <darren@xxxxxxxxx>
> Steven C Barr also wrote:
>
> > "For LP's (etc.) it depends on the policies of the record company.
> > Some companies assigned separate matrix numbers to each song...
> > particularly when they were recorded (or final-mixed, in this
> > current era) on different dates and/or in different places."
> I have only seen, from the sample I've just checked, one number
> etched into the viny and normally only one (or more) of the same
> numbers on the label.  Can you give an example to help clarify your
> example?

Where there is a single matrix number on an LP label, it refers to
the actual "matrix" (the first negative copy, from which stampers
were made) of the recording in question. Columbia, and IIRC RCA
used this system.

Where, for example, an LP was a reissue of a number of old 78 (mostly)
sides, each track would have its own original "matrix number" which
should have been (and often WASN'T) on the LP's notes and/or track
listing. As well, where a modern LP is made using a number of
separately-mixed recordings, each one would probably have an internally-
used number equivalent to a "matrix number" referring to that recording
only. However, LP's were pressed from specific "metal parts" that needed
an identifying number...thus the "matrix number" for each LP side.

Note that the track matrix (or similar) numbers do NOT appear on the
vinyl LP recording...and only appear on reissue album notes if the
producers feel discographic data might be useful...