Re: [ARSCLIST] Zits cartoon strip (trying to get back to matters archival)

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006, Lou Judson wrote:

> On the other hand, kids these days are able to search but barely to
> reason...

I assume you mean the ability to discriminate? How does one tell the good
from the bad and how do you tell what is "real" and what is not in the
digital world.

While this may be a reach...one other aspect of digital information that
is not considered as often is the notion of authenticity. We have so many
untrue emails floating around that there are sites which question the
authenticity of those "myths." Audio is not immune to such
considerations...we had the Chopin cylinder and more recently the "sound"
from the etchings on some pottery.

While you can't always trust what is printed on the label, at least there
is something to look at...yet, with digitized information...what do we
have that can be used for authentification?

Karl