To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, March 24, 2006 9:28 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Zits cartoon strip

In a message dated 3/23/2006 6:06:00 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Point is, no place but the Bedford Hills library is going to have that info.
***********************

It should and needs to be on the Bedford Hills Library web site, or that of
the Bedford Hills Historical Society.

The Internet is very new yet there are remarkably detailed web sites for many
museums, libraries, chambers of commerce and historical associations.  In
time, it will be online or will cease to exist.

The small, very specialized, museum I volunteer at is very conservative and
those of us who are somewhat computer literate are meeting resistance to
putting any of the collections online. Furthermore there is no money or expertise
for extensive environmental storage and restoration. Therefore records,
especially audio and video, are deteriorating, while they remain unseen and untouched
by human hands.

Unless this material is put online, where it can be accessed, copied, and
preserved in some way by the one person in a million who has some interest in it,
it will disappear from the historical record in a decade or so. Only one in a
hundred million is likely to make a cross continent trip to use the material
in that time. (This reflects the current use of the facility by the 300+
million people on this continent.)

Everyone involved in the preservation of history needs to make use of this
incredible resource that is developing and make sure it isn't handicapped by
technical and rights issues.

Mike Csontos