Re: [ARSCLIST] Zits cartoon strip (which has NOTHING to do with the subject anymore...)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Karl Miller" <lyaa071@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> On Sat, 25 Mar 2006, steven c wrote:
> > current generation can ACCESS web sites, but have no idea in hades
> > how to CREATE one! (Even though most site-creation applications are
> > so totally automated you need know little...or less...HTML, Java, usw.)
> > However, if it is true...the lack of interest in history on the
> > part of THIS generation all but guarantees the NEXT generation
> > will be significantly unsuccessful at anything...survival included!
>
> I don't see that this suggests a lack of interest in history...and
> I don't like total reliance on digital information but, even our food
> depends on the computer...
>
> "In the Western world, the use of gene manipulation, better management of
> soil nutrients, and improved weed control have greatly increased yields
> per unit area."
>
> Source: Wikipedia

Keep in mind that computers...like any/all of the inventions that
extended the capabilities of homo sapiens, from stone axes onward...
is only a tool! Like any tool, it can be used for any number of
things...some of which are advantageous to our species and some
definitely NOT! (stone axes could be used as weapons against
other members of the species, and computers can be used to
design "ultimate" weapons for the same purpose...) The problem
is, many, if not most, of the current technological "improvements"
can be utilized for immediate short-term gain...but in the
process often start deleterious "side effects!"

When television was first introduced, "experts" commented on
its potential ability to bring higher culture into the
homes and schools of the masses. Instead, it brings what
is essentially "non-culture" (by request of those same
masses, it must be noted) which, at least in my opinion,
could eventually lead to negative results.

Computers COULD be used, for example, to create and maintain
databases and enable humankind to access just about any
information they might require or desire. Instead, they
are being used to revolutionize the distribution of
"dirty pic-choors!"