Re: [ARSCLIST] Which U.S. Orchestra Recorded First?

Peter Hirsch wrote:

Earlier, Steve Smolian said:

 <George,  That was one of the reasons I liked this picture.
 Incidentally, the horn player is Bruno Jaenicke who remained first when
 the NY Philharmonic and the <NY Symphony merged and into the late '30s,
 perhaps longer.  He's the soloist on the Brunswick Toscanini "Midsummer
 Night's Dream" Nocturne.  Labatte is the <oboist (who made a solo disc
 for U.S. Pathe), Simon Barere the clarinetist, Guidi the first fiddle
 (he also recorded for Gennett), etc.

Steve,

 Bruno Jaenicke was one of the all-time great horn players and he was
 also featured on Mengelberg's Heldenleben, but there were two small
 details that I did want to correct in your posting (I can't wait to read
 the actual article - I have long treasured my fat Columbia NYPO Stransky
 78s from the 19-teens and have always wondered what might predate them)
 is that the oboist was Bruno Labate (quite a source for colorful
 anecdotes) and and the flutist in the Philharmonic was Georges Barrere
 (Simon Barere was noted both for his pianism and the unfortunate
 circumstances of his demise). I know that this is somewhat off-topic for
 this list, but the hornplayer's list that I belong to probably wouldn't
 care about such ancient history, so I am posting it here.

Nits picked and I'm done,

Peter Hirsch

And Simon Barere had a more valid excuse for not finishing that last concerto.

dl

Quote from Time Magazine Archives:

 Nov. 23, 1931
 Adenoids and head colds affect few people so unpleasantly as they do
 those who blow on wind instruments. At a Philharmonic concert in
 Manhattan last week German Bruno Jaenicke, reputed the world's greatest
 French horn player, huffed, puffed & snuffed valiantly through the first
 two movements of the Concerto which Richard Strauss wrote for his
 horn-playing father. Then, exhausted, Horn-Player Jaenicke left the
 stage. Conductor Erich Kleiber strode after him, but no amount of
 persuasion would return Bruno Jaenicke to his snuffling misery. An
 unprecedented announcement was made: the Philharmonic was unable to
 finish a number it had started.