[ARSCLIST] CD writing speed

As I understand it, and I might be wrong but I've read this in several different places, modern media is optimized for faster burn speeds. I think 8x or 16x is often mentioned. I use Plextor dirves and have them set to use the fastest optimum speed. Even on my new computer (Dell E510 with fast hard drives, SATA RAID, fast memory and fast system bus), no 48x disc has ever burned at 48x. They usually burn more like 24x or 30x. I've never had a problem nor has a client ever had a problem with burned discs from me, so I don't worry about it too much. Using the Plextor software, commerical aluminum discs usually scan out with more errors than my burned discs -- not sure if this is a reflection (pun intended) on the software or on how well or not commercial discs age.

I, too, have read and heard that 1x is non-ideal due to vibrations that can (can, can -- not will) destabilize the disc enough to cause more errors. In my experience the best coaster-eliminator was the invention of Burn-Proof technology. Since I got rid of my last early-generation burner a few years ago, the coaster rate around here is very low and is due to software glitches 90+% of the time. At the office, where we mass-dupe hundreds of CDR's a year, scrached media/bad QC is the main coaster-culprit but our coaster rate is very low and our returned-by-customer rate is even lower.

CDR media is quite a modern miracle. I agree very much that one needs to be more selective and critical with it for archival purposes, and it will be interesting to read this list in 50 years and see how it all works out, but for day-to-day use I have found it probably the most convenient and reliable portable media ever.

-- Tom Fine