Re: [ARSCLIST] CD Longevity (was Vinegar syndrome audio tapes [ARSCLIST] Memorex CDs and more)

Bob Conrad wrote:

Richard L. Hess wrote:

At 01:21 PM 1/21/2006, Tom Fine wrote:

Elliot Mazer is involved in a venture that sells full 44.1/16-bit CD-quality files for prices more akin to printed CD's. My only beef with that is, it's not market price. You're paying for a full ride but getting no packaging, liner notes or aluminum/semi-permanent CD in the deal.

Tom, our best bet is to convince Mr. Mazer to use MAM-A or other gold phthalocyanine dye CDs which actually may last longer according to recently published accelerated aging tests by Joe Iraci.

Once again:
http://www.uni-muenster.de/Forum-Bestandserhaltung/downloads/iraci.pdf

I agree about the album art missing, but please don't assume that burned CDs are inferior to manufactured ones. At the very least, it's likely to be a non-issue, at the best, it's possible that the burned CDs have a longer life expectancy.

Sorry to nit pick on this, but we have a huge PR problem started by the IBM data tape guy in Germany. It ticks me off. FUD simply FUD from the company credited with causing the invention of the term (check Wikipedia).

Cheers,

Richard

Maybe I'm reading his tables wrong, but it seems as if the only gold phthalocyanine dye CD-R tested was Kodak Gold 650MB. Does anyone know what other brands fall into this category?

Best,

Bob Conrad

I just found the listing on amazin' amazon. MAM-A is another name for Mitsui Advanced Media, and they market a 74-minute Gold Archive cd-r. It seems to retail for about $1.50 per disc, which is at least twice the amount that every other disc manufacturer gets. Also, it seems that there's no 80 minute version.

I've been using HHB because of it's supposed superiority in 1x recording, which is the only speed I use. Also, I've used Memorex Black from time to time.

Are there any users of MAM-A Gold Archive out there that would like to comment on their experience with this product?

Thanks,

Bob Conrad
Fort Lee, NJ