Re: [ARSCLIST] Vinegar syndrome audio tapes [ARSCLIST] Memorex CDs and more

Steven C. Barr wrote:
>... the owners of the copyrights of most
>sound recordings fall firmly into group I, and are employing the classic
>"dog in the manger" attitude toward sound recordings...e.g.
>"We own it...you CAN'T reissue it...and we WON'T reissue it because
>it doesn't promise enough profit!"
>
>To make things worse, they are apparently trying to extend the US
>concept of pseudo-eternal copyright to all known countries

I fall firmly in the first camp yet I don't own even a single copyright!

Massive financial interests lie behind the volumes of press releases promoting this idea that "copyright," (i.e. individuals having the right to equity in what they create) has become excessive. This is because they stand to profit handsomely from forcing contemporary "content providers" into accept lower royalties because they are competing economically with a larger public domain. Stock values have soared behind the public perception that electronic distributors will take a dominant position in negotiations for "content" over traditional media.

I'm concerned about this because it's a classic case of killing the goose that laid the golden egg. Copyright equity is how we in the creative community finance everything we do. Limiting copyright can only lead to a return to the government or corporate patronage of the 18th century arts community.

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.385.8051    http://www.hyperback.com