Re: [ARSCLIST] CD Longevity (was Vinegar syndrome audio tapes [ARSCLIST] Memorex CDs and more)

When mastering, I've taken the newly remastered/cleaned sound tracks from my computer and have burned them using a standalone PlexWriter at 1x speed. In fact, I've always been under the impression that 1x speed had to be used, otherwise there would be an increase in errors, and a decrease in sound quality (even though very slight, but enough so that it would be noticeable).

Is this wrong?

Bob Conrad
Fort Lee, NJ

Mike Richter wrote:

Bob Conrad wrote:

I've been using HHB because of it's supposed superiority in 1x recording, which is the only speed I use. Also, I've used Memorex Black from time to time.

It is hard for me to understand why anyone would choose to record at 1x. Unless that speed is forced on you - for example, to record in real time - it is seldom optimal or anywhere near optimal. Modern drives and modern media are designed to be used at higher speed, though rarely for the maximum specified.

There was a time when recording at 1-2x produced audio discs more likely to play in mobile devices, but that day is long passed. Unless you have measured performance to determine that 1x is in some way preferable, may I suggest that you do so before committing to it?

My own tests are quite limited but strongly suggest that 12-16x provides a "sweet spot" for the Mitsui and T-Y media I usually use. For real-time or near real-time recording, I prefer a "Digital Audio" disc but still do not trust its longevity and copy it at a higher speed to a preferred blank.

Mike