Re: [ARSCLIST] CD Longevity (was Vinegar syndrome audio tapes [ARSCLIST] Memorex CDs and more)

Bob Conrad wrote:
When mastering, I've taken the newly remastered/cleaned sound tracks from my computer and have burned them using a standalone PlexWriter at 1x speed. In fact, I've always been under the impression that 1x speed had to be used, otherwise there would be an increase in errors, and a decrease in sound quality (even though very slight, but enough so that it would be noticeable).

Is this wrong?

Have you considered the feasibility of measuring the error rate to answer your own question? Of course, I am assuming that you have a writer in your computer which can record at a speed greater than 1x. (Many modern drives will not write that slowly, some not at 2x either.)

If by "standalone" you mean an external drive and if that drive is on a USB 1 connection, then you will be unable to write faster than 4x. Still, you are likely to find that 4x gives better results than 1x. However, that is my expectation; only you can determine it.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/