Re: [ARSCLIST] How could anybody ever have thought this was acceptable? Rant

Steven C. Barr(x) wrote:
----- Original Message ----- From: "David Lennick" <dlennick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
I've just been listening to a recording of Rachmaninoff's 3rd Concerto which
keeps shifting between the piano present and the orchestra a mile away and the
orchestra up close and the piano sounding as if it's at the wrong end of a
flooded subway tunnel. At no point is there anything remotely resembling
"balance".
And no it's not the Horowitz atrocity from the 70s..it's Gilels from 1955.

I mean we occasionally make allowances for historical documents and legendary
performances that could only be captured on the fly, but this was 1955 for
cryin' out loud! Did anybody at the time think this was a "good" recording? I
would have fired the producer, or at least demoted him to recording oompah
bands.
Monophonic LP? Thus a question of balancing the levels of two mikes (or
sets of mikes)? So, the question is: How much multi-input recording was
being done that far back?!

Steven C. Barr

You'll find it as far back as the 1930s if not earlier. I was once playing a 1935 Stokowski 78, from the Firebird Suite, in a studio at CHFI and engineer Burrell Haddon (ex BBC I think) walked in and said he thought they must have used 5 mics on it. One mike recording (Living Presence) became more popular in the 50s..in fact I have some Mercury Classics 78 sets from the late 40s which make a big deal of using this technique.

dl