Re: [ARSCLIST] creating access cd's

At 01:28 PM 1/25/2006, Angie Dickinson Mickle wrote:

Maybe it isn't mentioned because we "windows audio people" consider it common knowledge. For someone new to digital recording, it may not be.

A drive used for only audio doesn't necessarily have to be an external drive, just another drive in the system other than the C drive. I've been using ide and scsi drives to record multi-track audio since 1995. It has only been in the last few years that I started using firewire. And that has really only been for convenience.

And it's not just audio - PhotoShop on install whines loudly until you set the scratch drives to be different than the program drive. My three main production desktop machines all have C: and D: IDE or SATA drives in them. The three "utility" machines and the laptop (obviously) only have C: drives. The two machines in the studio also have FireWire drops to a spare shelf for external drives and also for the MOTU 828 MK II interface.

For almost all projects, I record to the D: drive and then transfer it from there.

I have moved my stuff on storage, but you can find it linked at www.richardhess.NET ( fyi richardhess.NET runs on a different Web hosting package than richardhess.COM and is used for high-bandwidth, and plain vanilla stuff. For those who care, richardhess.NET is still with 1and1.com and I moved richardhess.COM from 1and1 to IXWebhosting.com as 1and1 and I didn't get along for a while on email. You all know me: Mr. Redundancy... I did tell y'all that I have both cable and DSL coming into my home studio <smile>...

As to the main subject, there are many ways of doing this, but I was surprised that you couldn't drop track marks and burn CDs out of audio packages. Samplitude has done that from the days it was Red Roaster. I didn't jump into this thread because I saw it was Mac-centric and I don't know anything much about Macs - just sort of by chance falling into PCs in 1984 and never really looked anywhere else.

Cheers,

Richard