To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 4:37 PM
Subject: [ARSCLIST] creating access cd's

hello all,
i am transferring 180 minute cassettes to ProTools and also creating one
preservation cd, and one access cd.  The cassettes are of Stella Adler's acting
classes.  Usually, with 90 minute cassettes, I create an access cd while
creating a ProTools session, using a marantz professional cd recorder.
However, with the longer recording time, an entire 90 minute session would not
fit on one cd.
using protools, i want to divide the sessions into more manageable sections and
also create tracks to help patrons better navigate a cd.  how difficult is
this?  what equipment do i need?  i've tried making an audio cd from the
protools session using adaptec TOAST 4.1.1, but the CD's cannot be read as
audio CD's.
will I simply need to play the original cassette again, stopping the recording
when I want to start a new track, or should I pursue the other method?  It
seems like it would be far quicker to manage everything in a ProTools session
after the initial capture than to continuously playback the original.  Or is
there a far simpler way?  Am I thinking about this all wrong?

Mark Downs

--
Technical Services
Harry Ransom Center