Re: [ARSCLIST] Brunswick Records rights/Universal

Don Cox wrote:

> On 23/01/06, James L Wolf wrote:
> > Looks like Universal is going to focus on LP-era material. That's
> > fine, and I hope they do a good job with these things and make them
> > available at at-least CD quality. But the fact that they're not
> > touching the 78-era material is telling. It helps make the case that
> > the vast majority of this material has NO commercial viability now or
> > in the forseable future. Plus the digitizing costs must be much
> > higher.
>
> Universal has been releasing an excellent series of CD box sets of 1950s
> recordings of classical music. (Almost all in mono.)

I was driving between Syracuse and Rochester yesterday afternoon and heard part
of the Beethoven Seventh with Kleiber and the Concertgebouw, from 1950. Sounded
incredible! I presume this is a new release..certainly lots better than those
awful triple-compressed CD reissues London was doing in the 80s.

> > Is there any progress in the general drive to make earlier
> > sound-recording rights similar to other contemporaneous material (i.e.
> > pre-23 PD, post 22 into PD starting 2018)? With all this data about
> > unavailability, and now this first seeming corporate reaction, such a
> > schema should be an acceptable compromise to all parties.
>
> The 1923 date applies only in the USA.

And only to published music.

dl