[ARSCLIST] Other memorable record stores

The recent thread about Discophile and Franz Jolowicz, and Peter's comments about how we acquired our collections has started me thinking about some of the other places where I found some of the treasures on my shelves.

One of the greatest was Discount Records in Memphis, which I visited a couple of times in 1970-71. Not part of the national chain, this was a low-rent storefront owned and operated by Tom Phillips, brother of the legendary Sam Phillips of Sun Records. As I remember it, the place was as different from Discophile as it could possibly have been while still being in more-or-less the same business. I remember Discophile as being a reflection of its location in Greenwich Village and a gathering place for the sophisticated classical music community of New York City. Tom Phillips' Discount Records, on the other hand, was the retail equivalent of a down-and-dirty Memphis barbecue and blues joint. I had been told about the place by Gabriel, the great St. Louis R&B DJ (whose show followed mine on KDNA Radio), and when I mentioned his name, Tom let me into the back room.

Record collectors dream about places like the back room at Discount Records. This was the place that old record labels went to die. There wasn't a lot of organization, but there were stacks and stacks of obscure LPs from labels like Sun, Vee-Jay, Riverside and many others that had been out of print for years. Jazz, folk music, rock n roll, and even some classical stuff. That was one side of the room. The other side was floor-to-ceiling piles of old Sun 78s. I think I bought a couple of dozen LPs each time, for which he charged me about $1.50 apiece. I still regret that I didn't go back again with more money in my pocket.

If I'd had the good sense to take a truck back there and fill it up with those Sun 78s, I could probably have resold them and retired on the proceeds fifteen or twenty years later. I'm sure some other collectors eventually discovered the place, but when I was there, it was as close to the motherlode for stuff I never expected to find as any place I have ever been.

Anybody else want to offer their memories of the places that fed their collections?

John Ross
====