Re: [ARSCLIST] Other memorable record stores

John Ross wrote:
The recent thread about Discophile and Franz Jolowicz, and Peter's comments about how we acquired our collections has started me thinking about some of the other places where I found some of the treasures on my shelves.

Discophile was my source for Eddie Smith's treasures, but my favorite shop was H. Royer Smith in Philadelphia. One collection from them was a case of sets of acoustic operas from La Scala. There is a suggestion that they may be the last surviving copies since even those contributing to Opera on Record (Alan Blyth, Lord Harewood, et al.) had been unable to find copies to evaluate.

Then there's the shop in Brookline with the remarkable basement. In the early 1960s, the proprietor had passed away and his daughter (?) who kept it running while determining the shop's and her future had little idea of what was there. The records I bought - all I could afford - were still in the plain brown wrapping paper which enclosed 78 sets in the WW II era.

As for their status today, I do not know. I contributed all my 78s to U.C. Riverside when I realized that I'd never again have space to store them and retain access. A few years later, I gave up my 78-rpm hardware. Everything of value had already been transferred to tape and the best of it has now been moved to CD-ROM, some in distribution, some just in my library.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/