Re: [ARSCLIST] obituary - Franz Jolowicz, Discophile NYC

David,

I tried 78-L 5 or 6 years ago and couldn't take the level of "discussion". It may be different now, but, at that time, there were one or two that had to comment on every damn thing and at great length, though the end result was not usually particularly illuminating. I suppose that my primary (though far from exclusive) area of interest is classical music may have made me an odd man out (at least it felt that way), but it just wasn't doing it for me and I signed off.

I don't have the mandate for what is appropriate fodder for this list in front of me, but I just got the latest ARSC Journal and the articles seem to cover the gamut and not just the techno and political side of things. Maybe the organization and the list are not that closely related, but I would assume so.

With luck (and hopefully a sympathetic employer) , I hope to be able to take up your invitation to head out to Seattle next spring. I look forward to it.

Regards,

Peter

David Lennick wrote:

Peter Hirsch wrote:

Don,

That really blows my mind. My memory of Radio City was of a few bins
tucked in a tiny shop in close proximity to the bus terminal, which, in
Hempstead was just about the only center of activity most of the time.
Of course, I should have also mentioned the Salvation Army's excellent
arena for (mostly 78) rummaging, though I imagine the one in my neck of
the woods was not atypical for that era.

I am glad to hear an all too rare bit of record collector chatter on
this list for a change since I have next to no knowledge to the
technical side of recording and one could get the impression from
reading the postings on most days that the list of the Association of
Recorded Sound Collections has no interest how people actually come to
have these collections or find themselves charged with their care. I
have found much of the technical discussion and debates on issues,
particularly copyright, informative at times, but I have a much more
emotional attachment to the content and have a lot more to say about it
than I do regarding bitrates, fair-use clauses and the like.

Not really a carp or criticism, just an encouragement to kindred souls
to post more.

Peter Hirsch

Of course we have 78-L for civilized discussions related to record collecting (as Mr. Chichester does a spit take and sprays tea all over the computer), but attend any ARSC conference and you'll find quite a few members whose first task is to find the local used record stores and Sally Ann locations.

dl

Dnjchi@xxxxxxx wrote:

In a message dated 12/8/2005 12:10:47 AM Eastern Standard Time,