Re: [ARSCLIST] obituary - Franz Jolowicz, Discophile NYC

Don,

That really blows my mind. My memory of Radio City was of a few bins tucked in a tiny shop in close proximity to the bus terminal, which, in Hempstead was just about the only center of activity most of the time. Of course, I should have also mentioned the Salvation Army's excellent arena for (mostly 78) rummaging, though I imagine the one in my neck of the woods was not atypical for that era.

I am glad to hear an all too rare bit of record collector chatter on this list for a change since I have next to no knowledge to the technical side of recording and one could get the impression from reading the postings on most days that the list of the Association of Recorded Sound Collections has no interest how people actually come to have these collections or find themselves charged with their care. I have found much of the technical discussion and debates on issues, particularly copyright, informative at times, but I have a much more emotional attachment to the content and have a lot more to say about it than I do regarding bitrates, fair-use clauses and the like.

Not really a carp or criticism, just an encouragement to kindred souls to post more.

Peter Hirsch