Re: [ARSCLIST] discographies

At 10:53 AM 10/18/2005, Steve Smolian wrote:
But discographies on-line can be corrected. A Wikopedia type structure might work- corrections by peer review, signed, should be a good starting place.

Yes, this has been suggested for many years (in 1998 I began a small mailing list on the subject titled "jazz computer discography project").

It's easier said than done. The fact is that the database programming for such a thing is much more involved than for a single-user offline database. But the data exchange function in the BRIAN application is a major step in the right direction. Users can and do submit corrections and additions in XML format to the appropriate discographers. From what I know of the Wikipedia project, it's just plain text (with some hyperlinks) not any kind of database (and it shouldn't be - it's encyclopedia-type text).

Mike

mike at JazzDiscography.com
http://www.JazzDiscography.com