Re: [ARSCLIST] original sequence of two Verve records

Which is a great reason for publishing them on line.

Steve Smolian

----- Original Message ----- From: "Steven C. Barr" <stevenc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, October 17, 2005 8:48 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] original sequence of two Verve records

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Fine" <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
It's one in the same guy, but there are other contributors to
jazzdisco.org.
Like I said, he's a nice guy as judged by our e-mail correspondence, so
I'm
willing to cut him a lot of slack for at least putting this gigantic
amount
of info online. His sources for wrong info in the jazzdisco.org sites are
usually published discographies like that multi-book Mercury one. And,
I'll
not lay all the blame on the discography authors and publishers because I
think most myths and mistakes are due to misinterpretation of sketchy,
disorganized or incomplete company records. Think of it this way -- what
if
24 tracks and months of sessions were the norm during the great days of
jazz
(or course, I'd bet they wouldn't have been so great in that case!).
Imagine
the reems of session documents to be lost!
One of the basic inevitabilities in discography is the fact that any
error(s)
made in the first available documentation of a specific body of recordings
will be accepted as gospel truth and repeated in subsequent discographic
works...while later corrections, even if accurate, will often be
forgotten or ignored!

Steven C. Barr

-- No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.344 / Virus Database: 267.12.2/137 - Release Date: 10/16/2005