Re: [ARSCLIST] original sequence of two Verve records

At 03:27 PM 10/17/2005, you wrote:
I'm hoping someone here has the original LPs of Harry "Sweets" Edison's "The
Swinger" and "Mr. Swing" and can tell me the original song sequences of
these albums. Also, if someone has the 1999 briefly-available reissue CD of
those records, can you tell me where the two extra songs are from, same
sessions or different sessions/lineups?

I do not have the LPs, but do have the CD. It purports to present the material as originally issued (and all evidence supports this), so:

[The Swinger - Verve MGVS 6037]
Pussy Willow
The Very Thought Of You
Nasty
The Strollers
Sunday
Fair Ground

[Mr. Swing - Verve MGVS 6118]
Love Is Here To Stay
Short Coat
Baby, Won't You Please Come Home?
Impressario
Ill Wind

The two unissued tunes were from the same session (September 15, 1958 at Nola Recording Studio). On the CD, they are at the ends of each disc. How Am I To Know? follows Fair Ground and Blues In The Closet follows Ill Wind.

PS -- the usually somewhat helpful jazzdisco.org discography was not too
helpful in this case.

Just in case there is any confusion, the above website has nothing to do with me. My site is www.jazzdiscography.com - easily confused. Afraid I can't recommend the other one. As far as I can tell, they don't use the most up to date sources, perpetuate old errors, introduce new ones, and don't add much of anything to the body of knowledge in terms of original research.

PPS -- any idea why that 2-CD set was in print such a short time? The only
format this stuff is available in now is crappy iTunes AAC.

Verve Elite series CDs were marketed as limited edition from the start. If you really needed to know I could find the little sticker that said how many copies for this issue, but basically, as soon as this series began, I made it a point to purchase everything. And I'm glad I did.

Completely agree about the downloadable situation.

Mike

mike at JazzDiscography.com
http://www.JazzDiscography.com