Re: [ARSCLIST] Copyright of treasures

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005, Lou Judson wrote:

> ... and if fairness reigned, perofrmers would get paid for their work
> every time a label sells a copy! Sadly that does not happen all to
> often. But that is another topic entirely!

Yes, but then...consider Naxos...as far as I know, they buy the
performance. I would wager that we would not have the benefits of the
Naxos label were it not for this practice. In classical music, the market
place is very different.

As for paying royalties on a per sale basis...for my label we  cut only
one check...assuming we have any net...Besides the mechanical rights, we have
only one performer contract per disc. There is no way we could afford to
maintain the accounting infrastructure to support multiple contracts and
stay in business.

Karl