Re: [ARSCLIST] Copyright of treasures

Richard L. Hess wrote:

Do you believe scholars and music lovers have any rights?

Some rights, but I think the artists' rights as indicated above definitely over-ride the music lovers' rights and probably over-ride the scholars' rights.

Even this becomes unclear. Suppose the rights to broadcast are signed over but not to recording. Home recording occurs - please, do not be shocked. Such recordings are routinely 'shared' (another secret we must scrupulously keep from the public). Thus, regardless of the artists' wishes and of contracts, the performance is disseminated. Is it then only the pirates (commercial or otherwise) who are to provide that service?

Some broadcasts are to limited audiences; do those outside the listening/viewing area have any 'right' to the experience? If not, how does the law prevent their obtaining access given the secrets disclosed above?

If someone without independent income wants to be compensated for the time, material and postage to satisfy those demands, is he more culpable (legally or morally) than one who donates all?

Please note: I am better at asking such questions than answering them. I find answers for myself, but would not suggest that they apply to anyone else.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/