[ARSCLIST] Copyright of treasures (was Re: [ARSCLIST] Storage of audio CDs (preservation by distribution))

Karl Miller wrote:

And, knowing that the subscribers to this list are amongst the best in
reformatting and restoration...I would wonder if anyone would like to
share stories on recordings they have preserved that they consider to be
treasures...things that, for reasons of the US copyrights, and the
potential costs involved (legal and license fees, etc) cannot be made
available to the general public. Recordings that may reside in private
hands and/or have not been listed in any of the major bibliographic
utilities.

If I can find the video clip, I shall violate copyright by making it available in some form. The program I recorded was part of a CLE - Continuing Legal Education - series then offered in the wee hours of the weekend by Court TV. The subject of the symposium was intellectual property and one attorney closed his presentation with a relevant cartoon.

The next speaker noted that she represented the cartoonist and that rights to the image had not been cleared with her or with her client.

In direct response to your question, one part of the issue may be what is meant by "available to the general public". Does a shop in Bologna count? A WWW site entirely in Japanese? A 'club' on the Internet whose members lend one another original off-air recordings? These are all representative of approaches taken to distributing classical (here, operatic) recordings some of which violate copyright in various jurisdictions.

There are various anomalies in the field as well. A British organization (Historic Masters, Ltd.) issues "78-rpm" recordings pressed from original metal parts. Most of their selections were fixed before 1923 and many have never been published previously. My understanding is that since they were not previously issued, they are newly copyright in most of the world; but since they were fixed before 1923, they are in the public domain in the U.S.

An attorney in Brazil has researched Argentine law on intellectual property and finds that it is similar to that in the U.S. with two critical differences. It is similar in being based on the date of fixing, not of publication or issue and in failing to recognize a sound recording as fixing intellectual property until relatively recent times. The critical differences are that there is only such federal law to contend with and that the first year for which recordings are protected is 1985. Those interested in opera and the remarkable history of the Teatro Colon have profited from the availability of transcriptions.

I am in an unusual position here and recognize that others on this list do not have the freedom I do. On the one occasion when I was asked to "cease and desist" from publication, the cause was trademark violation in that I was 'promoting' my work with the company's name. There was no assertion of copyright violation though that was blatant; perhaps one reason is that many of the administration of the company were grateful to have the recordings which otherwise would have been lost.

In the reality of classical recordings, the penalty imposed on a publisher in violation of copyright is such a request or order; there are no recognizable profits on either side until one reaches the Naxos/Capitol level which is hardly under consideration here. My position has always been that I will comply instantly with any such request and absorb the minor losses that that entails. Those distributing the recordings I produce recognize that their efforts may also be turned off on some or all of the titles and accept the possibilities that that implies. Incidentally, I accept no payment for anything I do; I subsist on pension and insurance.

For an upcoming release, I have committed to offering two versions of the master. One will contain material which I have posted at my WWW site, but which in aggregate may provoke a cease-and-desist request. If so, the other master - without that material - will be used for further orders from the dealers. Since I assert no rights to what I produce, undoubtedly the extended version will proliferate through private copies. I not only tolerate but urge such dissemination.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/