Re: [ARSCLIST] Copyright of treasures

Karl Miller wrote:

As for the soloist who didn't want their performance recorded...what a
tragic loss it is that Rachmaninoff did not allow his performances
broadcast. I still have this fantasy that some engineer made a copy on
their own and that one day it will turn up in some estate sale.

It happened in later years, at least. I have recordings from the broadcast booth at Symphony Hall on nights the BSO was not broadcast.

One footnote (though to an earlier post on this thread). Marilyn Horne's second autobiography includes a CD of her performances. It is of pirate recordings by choice and of necessity given the cost of 'legal' ones.

If reason had anything to do with the music business, one would expect the publisher of a recording to pay the performer to include an excerpt on such a disc; it can only increase sales. However, logic does not apply.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/