Re: [ARSCLIST] Storage of audio CDs (preservation by distribution)

In a message dated 10/4/2005 2:33:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
stevenc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
As I understand
it, it would be the users, not Google, who would be violating
copyright...at least this is how it works with 51-year-old
recordings, which are off copyright in Canada but not in the US!

OTOH, I'm not a copyright lawyer...

Steven C. Barr
***************\

It is not clear to me that I am the one violating copyright if I buy a
release of a 51 year old recording from a Canadian vendor or if I download a 51 year
old book from an Australian website.

Of course the vendor or site owner may prohibit such distribution to protect
themselves but it is up to them to enforce such a prohibition or at least to
make it clear that they don't support distribution in those countries that
restrict it.

Of course I can't redistribute this material in the country in which it is
illegal to do so without permission.

OTOH, I'm not a copyright lawyer...

Mike Csontos