Re: [ARSCLIST] Wishing for old tapes, was Yet another great box set from Mosaic

At 03:02 PM 2008-04-19, carlstephen koto wrote:
Thanks Richard, that's been my experience as well. I have a number of
old acetate tapes and while I've found a good deal of cupping and
brittleness, they seem to have very even high frequencies.

Of course, taming the cupping can be a chore and if there is any added spacing that, as you know, will affect the high frequencies.

An aside, I ran the calcs this morning for spacing loss and found that if the entire back coating of a typical tape (I used the numbers for 3M250 or 80 micro-inches) laminates itself to the face of the oxide coating, the 15 kHz spacing loss is about 4 dB. I don't think that's worth the risk of losing more by trying to clean it off.

I've had that type of lamination happen on tapes I should have baked first...but this was more of a theoretical exercise as I was looking at the relative thicknesses last night of tape components. For 3M 250 it's 80 microinches for the back coat, 680 microinches for the oxide coat and 1300 microinches (1.3 mils) for the base film for an overall thickness of 2060 microinches of 2.06 mils.

Cheers,

Richard