Re: [ARSCLIST] Digital Audio Preservation Question

At 12:56 PM 2008-04-14, Don Cox wrote:

I suspect the biggest audio problem in the future will be DAT.

There is good and bad news in this regard.

Good: We are finding that by and large DAT tapes are lasting longer than expected and, with care, so are the head drums.

Bad: Machines are more-or-less out of production.

Bad: It is an officially dead format as far as I can tell -- or if a machine is available it's an $8,000 one.

Coupled with this are the DTRS tapes (8 mm video tapes with typically eight audio channels on them--Tascam DA88, etc.) and ADAT tapes (SVHS tapes with typically eight audio channels on them--Alesis, Studer, etc.)

In addition are some Akai 12-track analog cassette tapes and perhaps some other vendor specific analog and digital "porta-studio" tapes.

Also, I would suggest that MiniDisc is also going to be there soon and DCC (Digital Compact Cassette) is there already.

The Elcaset is not a huge risk as we can fairly easily pull the tape out of the cassette and play it on a reel-to-reel machine as I do with 8-tracks, RCA Sound Tape cartridges, and other formats.

Cheers,

Richard