From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Richard L. Hess
Sent: Saturday, January 05, 2008 7:36 PM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] CD-R question

At 08:11 PM 2008-01-05, John Spencer wrote:
>Richard (and more so to Mr. Friedman),
>
>Do we have any concrete expectations that CD drives will be available
>in 50 years? Please point me to the information that guarantees that, I

>would be happy to be reassured that CD drives will be available then. I

>tend to be much more pessimistic about hardware/ software availability
>given the 50-year target mentioned.

Hi, John,

Happy New Year!

I think we'll be in as good or better shape playing back CDs in 50 years
as we will be playing back reel tapes in 35-40 years which is approx the
50-year time frame that LoC was still advocating transfers to 2-track
tapes.

There are just too many, and they're not going to all break.

As with any media, as the supply of machines dries up it's the archive's
responsibility to migrate/reformat before they cannot. I think we've had
this discussion before <smile>.

Cheers,

Richard

Richard L. Hess                   email: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx