Re: [ARSCLIST] Lossy compression losing quality (was Re: [ARSCLIST] Pristine Audio and the Milllennials . . .)

Howard Friedman wrote:
Mike, you wrote,

3. Copying a digital file either loses nothing or fails; the exceptions to that are exceedingly rare. That is, if the copy is not perfect then the transfer will fail, usually due to the dreaded CRC error. There is a tiny chance of dual failure which would permit copying a file with an error, but that is negligible in practice.

Does that mean that ripping CDA format files from a CD to MP3 format on my hard drive loses nothing?

No - because ripping audio is not copying. Because a CD-DA is recorded with one less layer of error correction, the probability of a bit error is substantially higher than when copying a file. For better or for worse, playback takes advantage of the ear's insensitivity to very brief transients and just masks out the error - error concealment is the technical term.

Now, the right equipment and good media used near optimum speed will give very reliable extraction, especially with Exact Audio Copy to do the ripping. But the 13% of extra audio playback comes at the cost of far higher risk of accepting a bad bit here and there.

A case in point arose during some experiments in steganography - hiding encrypted data within some masking information. I ran a test in which I buried text in a nearly full 74-minute T-Y disc in CD-DA. Using a 12x Plexwriter at 8x, I recovered the full text without error. (The source material was a live Qawwali performance; there was no way to tell that anything but music was on the track.)

The probability of error during extraction in the best case can be made very small, but still far higher than the probability with the same audio as a file - WAV, AIFF, APE, FLAC or other lossless format - using the same setup.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/