Re: [ARSCLIST] Record Business vs. Music Business: The Shakeout Continues.

----- Original Message -----
From: "D P Ingram" <darren@xxxxxxxxx>
> Is Canada following down that same route :)  Else maybe my secondary
> idea of a postal "sneaker net" might be the least problematical way.

Truth is, I don't know...and I doubt if anyone does!

Scary fact: The CRIA, which essentially functions as a "lap dog" of
the RRIA south of the border, has been suggesting a "longer" (no
specific term mentioned...) term for sound-recording copyrights!
As well, the current Federal government is infatuated with the
US Of A...

Un-scary fact: No one in the current government has been endorsing
or promoting any changes to our actual copyright terms. The main
battle now is the fact that the Hollywood film industry has gone
on record that most pirated/counterfeit DVD's start out life as
videos surrepticiously filmed from Canadian screens...!?

So, it would be possible...at least in theory...to create that
6TB+/- archive of sound files covering the history of sound
recordings from Edison's "Mary Had a Little Lamb" (still illegal
to reissue in the US if it ever turns up) to midnight on December
31, 1956...and that would be extended to 12/31/57 when MMVII becomes
MMVIII...!

Assuming, of course, that there exist folks who want to hear some of
the really BAD items...?!?!