Re: [ARSCLIST] Cedar

on 5/22/07 6:06 PM US/Central, Richard L. Hess at arclists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:

> One thing to remember with Cedar is that it is essentially a
> real-time process--at least as far as I've studied it and how I've
> seen it used.

External audio processors are either analog or digital i/o devices and are
thus real time. This includes the dedicated, external CEDAR boxes.

However, CEDAR Cambridge works in real time, or multiples of real time when
using its internal editor. CEDAR Cambridge is not a plugin based system. It
has digital i/o, as well as gigabit ethernet. It has an internal editor, so
you have a choice. In addition, multiple instances of processes can be
initiated in a chain, simultaneously. Real time or faster.

> This contrasts with most plug-in processes which can run faster or
> much faster than real time when "rendering" an audio file with the
> application.

There's been a related controversy in pro audio circles for years about
software plugins. Essentially, the objection to plugins has been that they
are written within the constraints of available CPU processing power, and
are thus not truly optimized for the task at hand.

While CEDAR Cambridge is expensive, you can easily test the available
software processes because it comes with about two weeks of access to all
software processes. Later, if you have a special project, you can rent
additional processes by the day, week or month, and the rental is applied to
the purchase price.

There is no 'magic bullet' in terms of brand name for audio processing.
Operator skill is probably the greatest single component. I'm sure you can
get great results with Algorithmix, Gold Wave, MTU, etc., i.e., whatever you
choose.

Parker

PS - Many years ago I used a DOS command line set of tools marketed by MTU,
with algorithms written by Mark Dolson of MIT. These tools were very
effective, except that they took many hours to complete a single process.
Even MTU said that some processes took a long time to complete, and they
even admitted that some would never complete! CEDAR's standalone boxes were
a real breakthrough back then, because you could actually adjust parameters
in real time and hear the results immediately.

--
Parker Dinkins
MasterDigital Corporation