Re: [ARSCLIST] Understanding Record Numbers

D P Ingram wrote:
Hello all.

As part of a cataloguing idea I am trying to sketch out some schematics. Could somebody kindly explain/clarify something for me? The question refers I am sure to "older" music as well. It just happens that I've picked upon a recent(ish) example as it contained some other programming issues I have had to work around.

In front of me I have a copy of "You're The One That I Want" by John Travolta AND Oliva Newton-John. It was issued on the RSO Label in 1978.

Now the question is: The catalogue number given is RSO 006 but underneath there is also a number in brackets (2090279). These numbers are the same on both sides but don't indicate a date). Is this another catalogue number or what is it ? This gives me the problem as I'd like to be able to say "show all records on RSO" and this would come up, but what purpose does the other number serve?

Many thanks in advance ! Darren Ingram
In this case, the other 7-digit number looks like a Polydor catalogue number and it probably refers to an English or other country release. I found this a lot in the later LP days..in fact in the 50s and 60s as well. I'm looking at a Philips LP which prominently displays G 03591 L and GBL 5613 on cover, spine and label. When I was asked to look for this record, the number quoted was ABL 1342. (But no cross reference to the American issue, ML 5100..!) (Beethoven Concerto #5, Casadesus.)

dl