Re: [ARSCLIST] Early stereo mass market tapes

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006, David Lennick wrote:

> Thanks for mentioning Richard Nanes. But how could you omit Rod McKuen's Piano
> Concerto et al?

While I can't say I care for McKuen's "classical" work, and I don't feel
qualified to speak about popular music, I must admit I have known some
people who value his popular music. But when it comes to his "classical"
works, compared to Sacramento, McKuen sounds like Beethoven.

And, keeping this on the more academic side...why I don't know...but...it
does seem to me that I should...but such attempts at "serious" music do
have their place in our social history. It seems that since classical
music has been so often marketed for its "snob" appeal, that music
written purely to the snob market, with the aura of concert music is an
interesting story.

Then we had Gerard Hoffnung's offering of a piano concerto...was it
"compiled by Searle?" of gestures from many of the more famous concertos.

And, on the subject of related music humor, to end on a sad note, I am
reminded of the passing last night of that unique gift to music, Anna Russell.

Karl